An ambulance driver’s job involves operating an ambulance to take an injured or sick person to the hospital and taking emergency medical professionals to the accident site to provide them immediate medical care. The driver’s job needs to drive the vehicle quickly and safely to address emergency and then back to the hospital. They should be expert driving with care avoiding any sudden movements that might hurt the patient on board. The driver must possess excellent driving skills to perform this job. They should carefully listen and follow instructions given by the medical team to let them know what is going on where the ambulance is located all the time. The driver should drive the vehicle on the busy street and should be ready to change the route to avoid traffic. He should have awareness using a digital mapping system and maps to take the patient to the hospital through the shortest route.
Ambulance Driver job Titles:
- Ambulance Driver
- Emergency Medical Driver
- Medical Assistant
Ambulance Driver Job Summary:
We are looking to hire an expert ambulance driver who can operate the vehicle efficiently and safely. The driver job involves driving an ambulance for transporting sick and injured, must replace solid linen and equipment, should place the patient on stretchers and load into the ambulance, should assist other attendants. The driver must accompany emergency medical technicians on call and must replace disposable items on an ambulance before making any emergency call. They should operate vehicles strictly following state, local and federal regulations and law-keeping patient safety on the mind.
The driver should be physically fit enough to lift patients in and out of the ambulance, residence and other locations. He should effectively communicate with patients, family members and medical professionals in verbal form. It is the driver’s duty to completely inspect the vehicle and all the equipment so that the ambulance is ready for the next run.
Ambulance Driver Responsibilities and Duties:
- The driver is responsible to transport an injured or sick person from a location to the hospital safely and securely.
- Must ensure the vehicle is clean and stocked properly with medical supplies prior to each shift
- Should complete a mechanical checklist prior to each shift ensuring the vehicle is ready to transport the patient from one location to another
- Assisting the patient to load them into the ambulance with any necessary medical equipment
- Must carry patient inside the hospital and transfer them to the inside medical facility room
- Accompany paramedical on emergency call for transferring patient to the hospital
- The driver should keep the ambulance neat and clean all the time and should maintain the vehicle in an efficient operating condition.
Ambulance Driver Skills and Qualification:
- More than 3 years of experience operating an ambulance
- Require high school diploma/GED
- Must be 21 years of age
- Physically fit enough to lift patients
- Great time management skill and communication skill
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record
- CPR certification and should participate in the job training
- Must pass a physical agility test
- Knowledge about the various location and use of GPS device
- Current emergency vehicle operation certification