Copy editors search for grammatical errors, errant commas, and nonsensical sentences in content. They correct misspellings and whip grammar into shape. They have to conduct an initial round of proofreading ensuring the written content is concise and consistent. Copywriters usually work at a magazine, newspaper, advertising agency, and websites. They are a vital part of the editorial team comprised of writers and editors. They need to work under intense pressure without compromising the standard.
Copy Editor Job Titles:
- Copy Editor
- Copy Editor (Part-Time)
- Marketing Communications Copy Editor
- Copy Writer
Copy Editor Job Summary:
We are looking to hire a motivated and savvy copy editor to oversee our content editing needs in a fast-paced working environment. The role support copy editing and work cross-functionally with project managers and product developers. You will be working with a team of writers and designers to curate compelling content for our organization. Your primary duty includes researching technical and telecommunication topics, formulate customer-facing blog posts, compose high-quality written publications move them through the complex approval processes, and assist with the publication. You need to edit existing content, determine informational updates, and complete edits as necessary. We are looking for candidates who possess expert-level writing skills and the ability to move research notes to a customer-facing piece of writing.
The person needs to be comfortable handling the content management system. Technical experience is a must and the candidate needs to be comfortable mastering new technologies.
Copy Editor Responsibilities and Duties:
- He must check written contents to ensure it is free of errors and conform to the site standards for style, quality, and clarity
- Review and revise content for accuracy and quality
- Communicate with the production team to ensure content is published promptly
- Must have an understanding about associate press or Chicago style
- Ensure correct tone, voice, flow and structure of content
- Compile and update the style guides as required
- Write headlines and straplines
- Performing text edit on various forms of multimedia and social content, video, tweets, Facebook updates, etc.
- Must know to edit and should have the experience necessary to scrutinize stories with an eye towards the legal issue, journalistic values and elegant sentence construction
- Producing stories and other content for dot com property using the content management system
- Able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines consistently
- Stay updated about latest media trend and content best practices
- Collaborate with the team to create fresh ideas and keep the audience engaged
Copy Editor Skills and Qualification:
- Bachelor degree with a solid understanding of the English language
- Must possess a minimum of 2 years of experience as a copy editor for daily publication
- Extensive knowledge about Chicago and AP styles
- Punctual, reliable and must have strong communication skill
- Proficient working with multiple editors in a continuous environment
- Command of journalism best practices
- The versatility to quickly edit news
- Willingness to work weekend and night
- Experience in sports editing and should be comfortable reading about sports
- Familiar handling content management system, web app, and social media platform
- Able to work will all types of working style
Copy Editor Salary
A copy editor salary varies depending on the experience and education level. A copy editor’s salary is usually in the range of $40,000 to $55,000 per year.